The Legal Specialist will report to both in-country leadership and to our global legal team. The primary role will be to provide support to the HR/People department regarding all employment related matters, investigate and resolve internal legal matters, and to advise One Acre Fund Tanzania on legal compliance issues. The position also involves being the primary contact for all employment law-related matters, fraud alerts, re-assessing internal organizational policies in accordance with labor law, and training key stakeholders on fraud detection and in applying labor law.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Employment law/HR issues: Serve as the primary resource for support to our Tanzania HR team regarding all employment law matters. This includes all issues related to hiring and termination, compliance with local labor laws, and issues related to compliance with One Acre Fund internal policies, etc.
• Investigation matters: Responsible for investigating and resolving a variety of internal, legal matters arising at One Acre Fund Tanzania. This will include a variety of matters including the following:
• Coordinate with other departments involved in fraud cases
• Coordinate with the HR regarding termination issues.
• Coordinate with and lead reporting to the police and local counsel (if required)
• Conduct all investigation phase from start to finish
• Follow up on large fraud cases in the field
• Be a recipient of fraud alerts from staff and third-party stakeholders and ensure confidentiality and whistleblower protection
• General legal compliance responsibilities: Proactively improve and further develop One Acre Fund policies in light of changing legal requirements, organizational needs, and known incidents of fraud or policy violations.
• Training: Train Human Resources Staff in correctly applying and living up to labor law, as well as select other HR related policies and procedures, particularly with regards to termination procedures and policies. Train staff of high-risk departments on fraud detection and prevention.
• General: You will be responsible for providing all other legal support needed and/or coordinating such support.
• This new role will report up to our internal counsels in our Global Legal Department, as well as to in-country leadership.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
One Acre Fund invests heavily in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. You will have access to regular and ongoing professional development opportunities aimed at building the soft and hard skills required for quick rapid professional growth. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new roles opening up and opportunities in many functions available to staff who perform at a high level for a substantial period of time. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
We are seeking a candidate with strong work experience and a strong educational experience. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
• A holder of a Bachelor of Laws degree from a recognized university,
• Registered Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania and Courts subordinate thereto
• At least 2-3 years of professional work experience
• Preferred work experience in at least one of the following areas: employment/HR, compliance, investigations, general corporate law, non-profit/NGO matters, etc.
• Willingness to become expert in all legal matters
• Exceptionally strong oral communication skills
• Advanced written communication skills
• Advanced legal research skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and a willingness to engage with staff
• Leadership experience at work, or outside of work
• Some experience in coordinating and delivering trainings
• Highly motivated and enthusiastic attitude
• Language: English required
PREFERRED START DATE
Iringa, Tanzania, with frequent travel to other One Acre Fund Tanzania locations
Commensurate with experience
Note: We are not able to sponsor a visa for this position