Position title : Project Management Support Officer
Company Southern African Development Community
Reference # SADC2/2/3/1/2019
Contract Type Contract 4 Years
Salary $ 65,319.30 - 72,527.00 Annually
Location Gaborone, South East, Botswana
Number of Vacancies : Four (4)
Application Deadline: : 28 February 2019
The Southern African Development Community (SADC) is a regional economic community founded and maintained by countries in Southern Africa. It aims to further the socio-economic, political and security cooperation among its Member States and foster regional integration in order to achieve peace, stability and wealth. SADC currently has sixteen Member States with a population of approximately 327 million people and a combined GDP of USD 600 billion (2016).
The Secretariat has been implementing a new structure where there has been a creation of the Project Management Support Unit (PMSU). The PMSU is under the leadership of the Director Policy Planning and Resource Mobilization (PPRM). The PMSU works with all Directorates and Units to provide technical project management support to all projects and programmes during their Initiation, Planning, Execution (including Control) and Closing. The unit is headed by a Senior Officer-Project Management Support (position filled in 2018). The Secretariat is now in the process of recruiting four (4) dedicated Project Management Officers who will work to enable SADC achieve its objectives through the PMSU and contribute to the transformation of the lives of millions of citizens in the SADC region.Interested and qualified candidates are advised to read the requirements very carefully (qualifications, experience of 5 years minimum as a Project Manager, and skills or capacity to support other project managers, monitor and hold them accountable), before submitting their applications.
Applicants are advised to apply online and do a full registration process, attaching Motivation Letter, CV’s, certified copies of educational, professional certificates and references. Applications with inadequate supporting documents will not be considered.
Only applicants who meet the requirements of the SADC Secretariat will be considered for interview. Should you not hear from the SADC Secretariat within two months after the closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
All SADC member States.
If you are results orientated, you have a passion for the transformation and development of Southern Africa, and possess the required competencies, skills and experience as a Project Manager please submit your application.
For the first four years the four Officers will mainly be funded from the following Programme: “Integrated Institutional Capacity Building for the SADC Secretariat and National Stakeholders (IICB)” with the financial support from the European Union; before the end of the Programme they will be under the regular SADC budget if they satisfy to the SADC HR requirements. Thus, the offer to start this job depends on the funding and commencement of the IICB Programme.
Industries Regional Development
- Under the supervision of the Senior Officer- Project Management Support Unit (SO-PMSU), the Officer-Project Management Support will accomplish the following:
- Provide Project Management Support to ensure effective Initiation, Planning, Execution, and Closure of projects and programmes;
- Design, develop, implement, and continuously improve policy documents, tools, standards, templates, processes and procedures related to the SADC Project Management System (SPMS);
- Ensure adequate project management support is provided to project teams to ensure that projects are implemented on time, with the pre-agreed quality and within allocated budget;
- Become the lead custodian of SPMS and resume full responsibility of its implementation, in partnership with internal stakeholders, Member States and ICPs;
- Promote the effective implementation of SPMS across SADC and seek assistance to remove barriers, where necessary;
- Ensure all project teams (internal & external) apply SPMS tools, processes and procedures consistently;
- Organise training and capacity building of programme directorates and project staff on SPMS tools, practices, guidelines procedures and on Project Management in general;
- Manage the online Module of SPMS to update and upload project documents related to their Initiation, Planning, Execution, and Closure; and maintain a systematic filing of project information (hard and soft copies);
- Review project operations (plans, technical and financial reports, resources, issues, processes, products) and share reports on their performance and on issues requiring timely actions or decisions;
- Strengthen project management capability and SPMS effectiveness through learning and experience sharing;
- Conduct periodic project performance reviews through field visits or review meetings;
- Ensure timely production of quality PMSU work and documents (produce work of good quality and on time);
- Participate and contribute in meetings, conferences and fora;
- Analyse project reports and share feedback to ensure Result Based Reporting;
- Work with other Units, Directorates and partners on issues where concerted effort is needed (such as evaluations, planning, reviews, due diligences, etc.)
At least a Bachelor's Degree from a reputable institution in any related discipline, preferably Project Management, Development Studies or Economics.
Professional Certification in Project Management is an added advantage
Should have skills and experience to develop and or manage an online Project Management System
Knowledge of project management systems, principles, methods, techniques, tools, approaches, etc.
Knowledge of project management cycle (Initiation, Planning, Execution, and Closure);
Knowledge of developing and or managing an online system and processes in the field of project management (Project Management Information System (PMIS);
Knowledge of Result Based Management, and Managing for Development Results Principles;
Knowledge in project planning, scheduling, estimating, logical framework and developing project monitoring and evaluation plans;
Proficient in the use of computers and computer software relevant to the position;
Knowledge of basic notions of budgeting and reviewing a financial report (Income Statement, Trial Balance, Accounts, Payables, Assets, etc.);
At least 5 consecutive years of professional experience in project management within a public sector (SADC Member States), private entity or social sector;
Minimum of 5 years in a line management position as a Project Managed, a Programme Manager or similar position;
Experience in providing management support to projects and programmes during project management cycle (Initiation, Planning, Execution, and Closure);
Experience in project design (including result chains, Outcome Mapping and the Logical Framework Approach);
Experience in developing and or managing online Project Management Information Systems (PMIS);
Experience in writing and reviewing project management reports (technical and financial);
Experience in project control and project proposal development;
Experience of working with multiple stakeholders, including governments, non-state actors and regional or international organisations;
-Project Management skills
-Developing systems and processes skills
-Change management skills
-Communication and presentation skills
-Conflict management skills
-Mentoring and coaching skills
-Negotiation, persuasion, advocacy, networking and relationship building skills
-Organisational skills (planning, budgeting, work prioritisation, time management)
-Research, analytical and problem-solving skills
-Team building skills
-Report writing skills
Job Closing Date 28/02/2019