• Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
• Apply by 9 January 2019
Devex is posting this position on behalf of a member organization.
The Country Director (CD) is the leader and official representative for the organization’s office in Tanzania. The CD’s primary responsibilities are to support, direct, and strategically lead the organization’s Tanzania country office operations and staff in a manner that is consistent with the organization’s mission and values. The CD will also provide leadership and management that promotes effective and efficient delivery and expansion of programs and services.
• Maintain strong, positive working relationships with the organization’s headquarters, clients, and implementing partners to enrich country programs; represent organization and country programs in public fora
• Provide technical assistance and oversight in designing, implementing, and evaluating programmatic activities.
• Develop and implement work plans and budgets that reflect organizational and donor priorities.
• Develop, update, and implement programmatic performance monitoring plans and lead timely reviews to identify issues and drive evidence-based interventions.
• Work with the organization’s leadership to identify opportunities to build and expand the country program portfolio.
• Lead new business development efforts for the country program and contribute to the proposal development process.
• Oversee finance operations and cash flow for country office; develop and implement adequate risk mitigation strategies.
• Ensure compliance with organization’s operating and financial policies and procedures, US government rules and regulations, and compliance with local and applicable international law.
• Oversee and develop a strong country team. Ensure individual and departmental accountability. Provide frequent feedback to, and support for, the country team.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Advanced degree in medicine, public health or management-related field.
• At least 10 years of experience managing and implementing public health programs funded by USAID, CDC, Global Fund, etc.; experience with development and aid programs in Tanzania preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to create efficiencies and lead operational transformation in complex programs or projects; prior experience and knowledge of HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment programming preferred.
• Must have proven knowledge and prior experience with US government rules and regulations.
• Demonstrated financial management experience, including the oversight of budgets and subcontracts, and adherence to USG procurement requirements.
• At least 7 years of experience leading and managing a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural environment, including recruitment, staff development, training, mentoring, and performance assessment.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing; proven diplomatic and public relation skills.
• Willingness to live in Tanzania and travel nationally and internationally up to 30%.
• Fluency in English (speaking, reading, and writing).