TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR THE RECRUITMENT OF EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY (EAC) COMPREHENSIVE AFRICAN AGRICULTURE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME (CAADP) COORDINATOR
(REF: ECI/EAC-CAADP 001/2018)
In order to strengthen the human resource capacity for coordination and implementation of the EAC-AGRA project “Partnership toward catalyzing the Implementation of CAADP- Malabo 2017-2020”, The Emerge Centre for Innovations – Africa (ECI-Africa) seeks to recruit a highly motivated, result-driven and qualified professional from citizens of the Republics of Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Uganda and The United Republic of Tanzania to fill the following position:
Position: EAC CAADP Coordinator
Grade: Equivalent to EAC Grade P1
Reports to: Principal Agricultural Economist
Duration of Contract: One year (renewable subject to performance and availability of funding)
Duty Station: EAC Secretariat Headquarters, Arusha – Tanzania
The Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) is an African Union (AU), Africa-owned and Africa-led initiative designed to boost agricultural productivity in Africa. CAADP was set up under the Maputo Declaration (2003) as a framework and vision to drive agricultural transformation on the continent. Its successor, the Malabo Declaration is a 10-year strategy (2014-2025) of CAADP that presents the goals and targets that have brought new additional dimensions and reinvigorated efforts to transform African agriculture.
, African Union Commission’s Department of Rural Economy and Agriculture (AUC- DREA), New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD) Planning and Coordination Agency (NPCA), the East African Community (EAC), and the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) – within their different mandates, have developed a 3- year pan-African partnership project aimed at strengthening the continental, regional and national institutional and coordination capacities to deliver the commitments made to transform agriculture in Africa as per the Malabo Declaration.
The project goal is to champion and catalyze coordinated results at Continental, Regional and National levels that accelerate the realization of the Malabo Declaration commitments. The project objectives are to:
i. Strengthen continental, regional and national systems for agriculture planning, coordination and implementation;
ii. Strengthen regional and national agriculture policy systems to increase intra- regional trade in agricultural inputs;
iii. Support national governments to increase private sector investments in agriculture;
iv. Support the institutionalization of mutual accountability mechanisms and the Biennial Review Report process; and,
v. Support continental and regional communication and advocacy to continually raise awareness and motivate countries to fulfill their Malabo commitments.
The East African Community role in the project
EAC has embraced the CAADP agenda and prioritized agriculture as one of the engines of social and economic growth in the integration process.
EAC will contribute to the delivery of the following components of the project:
i. Support the efforts of Partner State governments to improve regional and national policy making structures, procedures and mechanisms for increased intra-regional trade in agricultural inputs
ii. Strengthen regional and national monitoring and evaluation and mutual accountability mechanisms
iii. Increase awareness and advocacy momentum behind the CAADP agenda for increased political, policy and financial commitment
More information about the EAC can be found here: www.eac.int
2. Duties and Responsibilities:
The Coordinator will work under the overall supervision of the Director, Productive Sectors, while directly reporting to the Principal Agricultural Economist. He/She will perform the following duties.
- Ensure timely implementation of the planned project activities;
- Ensure planned activities are aligned to the project budget and workplan;
- Coordinate the external relationships of EAC with all the partners involved in the project.
- Coordinate and ensure timely preparation and submission of the project technical and financial progress reports.
- Support monitoring and evaluation requirements of the project in accordance with the project indicators and targets.
- Provide technical support on CAADP implementation at national and regional level;
- Enhance synergies and strengthen coordination with relevant stakeholders
- engaged in the implementation of CAADP agenda;
- Coordinate and facilitate generation, processing and dissemination of CAADP
- awareness and advocacy information/materials and documents; and
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the management
3. Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Development Studies, Rural Development or related Agriculture Sector field; A Master’s degree in relevant field will be a definite advantage
- At least 5 years of relevant experience,
- Experience in formulating, planning and monitoring programme/project implementation;
- Relevant project and financial management experience;
- Knowledge and experience in farm inputs policies including seed and fertilizer and grants management is an added advantage
4. Skills and competencies:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent planning and time management skills
- Sound judgment and ability to pay attention to details
- Proficiency in office software applications, particularly word processing,
- spreadsheets, internet and PowerPoint Strong drafting,research and analytical skills and proven ability to produce reports and concept papers on development issues demonstrated through a strong publication record
- Fluency in oral and written English. Fluency in French would be an added advantage.
This post offers an attractive salary and employment benefits based on specific qualifications and experience of the selected individual subject to successful negotiations.
6. How to Apply:
Interested candidates are advised to submit their applications via email, quoting the job advert reference number as the subject of the email, to the Recruiting Agency on email: email@example.com to be received not later than 28th January, 2019 at 17:00hrs EAT. The application should include: a cover letter summarizing the alignment of the candidate’s profile with the position; Curriculum Vitae; copies of national IDs or passport or birth certificate, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three referees, and day time telephone contact.
You may submit your application via email only (no hard copies will be accepted)
Applications which do not include the indicated documents will be disqualified
Only qualified candidates will be contacted.