Objective:To navigate and interact with the program’s newly-developed digital platform—both online interface and mobile application—and test its usability and accessibility, leading to a series of functionality and design improvement recommendations for a smoother and more consistent user interface.
Background:The Tanzania Enabling Growth through Investment and Enterprise (ENGINE) program is a four-year USAID-funded Feed the Future program awarded through the Volunteers for Economic Growth Alliance (VEGA) that aims to streamline and enhance many of the regulatory, informational, and financial channels that encourage domestic and foreign investment in the southern agricultural regions of Mbeya, Morogoro, and Iringa, and in Zanzibar.
ENGINE will focus at the district level, using a broad-based approach that works with district councils, private sector associations, business development service providers, financial institutions, and micro, small, and medium enterprises. The program’s activities are divided into three main components:
- Implement policies for growth. Build the capacity of the private sector to effectively dialogue with the government to set the policy agenda and improve the capacity of the public sector to implement policies.
- Equip businesses for growth. Strengthen SME capacity and foster the growth and capacity of a sustainable market for business development services (BDS) in Tanzania.
- Access to finance for growth. Broaden access to finance for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), specifically women and youth entrepreneurs and those working within agricultural value chains, to facilitate increased investment and growth.
Relevance:Part of the way ENGINE plans to expand access to business development services and financial services is through creating a digital platform where information is consolidated and easy to use. The platform, called BizFundi (www.bizfundi.or.tz) facilitates market linkages between the SMEs, Business Service providers, and financial institutions. The platform consists of a web-based system and a mobile application that are both connected to a shared database.
To assure the user experience quality of the systems and provide competent, consistent, sophisticated, and unique user experience, ENGINE is seeking a volunteer who can navigate through the system, test its user friendliness and functionalities and provide opinions and modification recommendations to improve the systems’ look and feel, then design and generate wireframes of user interface controls, icons and visual elements for both the web application and mobile app.
Specific Task(s):Work with the ENGINE Component 3 development team to run user experience tests on the web application and mobile app and design and generate graphical wireframes of user interface controls, icons, and visual elements. In doing so, it will be incumbent for the designer to understand:
- How interface design, visual language and branding are integral parts of the user experience
- The ENGINE branding guidelines
- The current system
- Navigate through the systems’ functionalities and test their user friendliness and responsiveness
- Convey concerns and bugs clearly back to Engine team
- Highlight UI issues that compromise the usability of the systems
- Suggest improvements to the UI with the aim of making the systems ready for external roll-out in a quicker time-frame
- Design and generate graphic wireframes of the UI controls (Buttons, Menus, Text Fields)
- Design and generate wireframes of the overall style (theme) for the visual elements (Fonts, colors, graphics, images, icons, banners)
- Create a final pixel example page for a website and mobile app screen; and
- Submit the design output (wireframes, mockups) to the ENGINE team
- At least 2 years’ experience working in software UX testing; quality assurance experience will be a huge plus;
- At least 3 years’ experience working as digital product designer, taking responsibility for all aspects of the user experience;
- A portfolio full of well-designed interfaces that highlight your flair and attention-to-detail; Examples must include web and app designs that you have worked on;
- Expert proficiency and access to Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) / Sketch, Prototyping Tools e.g. Marvel, Invision, Wireframing tools;
- Ability to turn complex business ideas into simple-to-understand and easy-to-use customer interfaces;
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in cross-cultural settings;
- Patience, flexibility, and an open mind will be highly advantageous; and
- University degree in related discipline is preferred.