Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Technician- Kigoma
The Belgian Development Agency, Enabel, mobilizes its resources and its expertise to eliminate poverty in the world. ENABEL contributes to the efforts of the international community and works towards a society that provides present and future generations with sufficient resources to build a sustainable and fair world.
In Kigoma Region, Enabel implements 3 bilateral projects focusing on water, natural resources and agriculture. These projects are executed in collaboration with the Kigoma Regional Secretariat and the responsible ministries. The agricultural project SAKIRP focuses on the development of cassava and bean value chains across all the 6 rural districts of Kigoma region. The project’s value chain development approach seeks to build sustainable market-based relationships between private sector actors.
Public sector capacity development to provide effective chain support services is an important area of focus for the project strategy. Local government agriculture workers have been supported with smartphones through which data is collected and sent weekly. Data is accumulated and aggregated by KoBo Toolbox, which allows for incorporation of data into relational and geographical databases for further analysis, reporting and mapping. Making use of compatible tools such as Excel, R, STATA and QGIS, allows us to display our data visually in meaningful ways, which enhances the ability to use and understand it for learning and decision making.
The SAKIRP technical team consists of 6 district focal point staff and 6 technical advisors. In 2018, 14000 farmers in 560 producer groups are supported. The ultimate aim is that 20.000 farmers in 600 groups have increased cassava & bean production and aggregation. SAKIRP works together with the local government extension system for production and with the private sector for marketing and aggregation.
1. Contribute to the implementation of high quality and credible M&E system
- Promote the awareness and understanding of the shared responsibility of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) among all staff members through communication, training and learning.
- Identify the monthly data needs for the project in collaboration with colleagues and design the associated questionnaires using mobile-based data collection tools (ODK).
- Provide bi-annual data collection trainings in order to assure successful high-quality data collection, in combination with knowledge and capacity building trainings
- Work closely with the Project Implementation Unit to manage all data entry related activities and ensure that they are done timely and qualitatively by developing monthly assignments with associated deadlines for extension staff, following-up regularly and being daily available for fast and effective technical support
- Facilitate technical IT capacity building opportunities for project staff and partners
- Monitor individual reporting performance of data collectors, to assure timely and high-quality data collection
- Present performance evaluation during monthly review meetings with the Project Manager and Project Coordinator and evaluate the functionality of the M&E system on quarterly basis during regional review meetings with the Project staff and government partners
3. M&E analysis and reporting
- Supply reliable data to PIU on regular basis for activity implementation and steering
- Conduct data analysis and identify relevant evaluation findings, conclusions and recommendations and input them into project reporting appropriately
- Compile quarterly progress reports
- Contribute to the annual progress report
- Update indicator progress tracking table
- Contribute to annual work plan
- Contribute to the development of capacity development tools, including training materials and packages
- Tanzanian national – male / female
- Academic qualifications: bachelor degree in Information Technology, Agricultural economics, Records Management, Informatics, Computer Science or equivalent qualification Experience: min 2 years in data management / M&E
- Good knowledge of monitoring and evaluation
- Affinity with rural development and agriculture.
- Good analytical and report writing skills;
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports;
- Advanced user of Excel for data analysis and reporting
- Knowledge of ODK for data collection is an asset
- Knowledge of GIS is an asset
- Creative Problem Solving and leading by example
- Good oral and written communication skills in Kiswahili and English.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues in data management
- Duty station: Kigoma town/district with regular travel to other districts in the region
- Enabel contract: 1 year - extendable
- Competitive salary package.
Only candidates that correspond to above profile are requested to send the following documents by email (max 3 MB):
- Application letter & CV
- Copies of academic & professional qualifications.
- Phone number & e-mail.
- Addresses 3 referees or past employers
Deadline: 18 January 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note that successful candidates with fake transcripts will be disqualified. EX3