Position: Sponsorship and Communications Coordinator
The Small Things is a dynamic community-based organisation operating at the grass roots level in the Meru District of Tanzania. Our actions are predicated on the belief that the best way to help a child, is to support the community in which they live and to this effect, we offer a variety of family preservation and reunification services aimed to empower and strengthen families, so that they can reclaim their children from residential care.
We are currently seeking a Sponsorship and Communications Coordinator to manage our sponsorship program here in Nkoaranga and effectively share our story to a wide range of individuals– including international sponsors, donors and prospective funders. The ideal candidate will possess experience building relationships with various stakeholders both digitally and in person.
You will have the opportunity to strengthen the existing program and its framework, manage our social media channels, and creatively increase our overall digital presence through various platforms.
Benefits include a stipend of $750/month, health insurance after 3 months probationary period, education stipend of $500, flight stipend of $500, full visa and permit support, office computer for use, furnished accommodation on site, and all work related travel expenses in country covered. This is an excellent opportunity for anyone looking to help contribute to a passionate, locally managed NGO with a lot of room to grow.
Sponsorship Program (50%)
- Oversee and manage all aspects of our sponsorship program
- Convert and shepherd potential sponsors, both in-person and through media communications
- Write and manage all sponsor updates
- Create and manage new sponsorship engagement plan in collaboration with development team, ensuring that sponsors are able to see the impact their contributions have made on a regular cadence
- Create and manage all sponsorship communications calendar, with support from management
- Create and update all sponsor related materials on a bi-annual basis
- Work with students to write letters, and provide other updates for their sponsors
- Cultivate strong relationships with residential and outreach sponsored children, and assist with conversion and/or management of volunteers and visitors to sponsors through day care and tutoring program
- Plan and execute all marketing materials and public relations with development team. Prepare content and produce all communications including the monthly children’s village letter, quarterly newsletter, press releases, blogs content and all other marketing materials.
- Manage and coordinate communication calendar for social media channels in collaboration with sponsorship coordinator
- Develop and implement creative and effective storytelling strategies that help generate additional sponsors and donors
- Research and recommend platforms for storytelling and innovative new communication techniques
- Assist Education Coordinator and Volunteer coordinator with all volunteer, visitor and group trips, related to the day-care and tutoring program
- Provide guidance and support to all education staff on development and management of related programs–specifically day care and outreach/adult tutoring as the program scales up
- Help supervise interns when placed in tutoring or day care facility (with volunteer coordinator) to ensure effective use of resources and tracking of outcomes
- Support additional Community extracurricular programs as necessary, including volunteer support with the Community library, the adult education programme, and agriculture
- Native English speaker, or equivalent level of written and spoken fluency
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field
- 3 years of work experience.
- 2 years of communications/marketing, HR, or management experience, especially for nonprofits.
- Experience using Microsoft Office products like Word, Excel, SharePoint Designer, and PowerPoint
- Graphic design, photography and experience creating engaging content
- Experience working in a developing country, preferably in East Africa
- Proficiency in Swahili is preferred but willingness to learn is essential!
- Experience with wordpress or website design a big plus
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent written, interpersonal, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently, take direction from others, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Commitment to the vision and mission of TST
- Adapts strategy to changing conditions and communicates changes effectively
- A collaborative, open team-player who’s able to maintain and support a wide range of sakeholders of various positions and ages
- A flexible, self-motivated go-getter who’s able to work with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
To apply, please send resume, and a cover letter explaining why you would like to work at The Small Things, your earliest start date, and why you feel you are a good fit for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, we receive a large volume of applicants and only candidates who we feel best match the criteria above will be contacted.
Closing date: 28 Feb 2019 EX3