Position: Regional Coordinator
Position No.: 59983
Location: Bukoba, Kagera, Tanzania
Division: International Health (IHD)
Contract: Vector Control T01
Supervisor: Operations Manager
Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 supports the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Work closely with the Operations Manager to ensure effective implementation of the IRS activities in any district in Kagera Region.
- Manage robust IRS campaign planning efforts in assigned geographical area, includinq quantification of insecticides and equipment needs: identification and recruitment of spray teams; logistical planning for IRS distribution and transportation; insecticide and equipment storage, security, and environmental safety; and coordination with provincial level Ministry of Health counterparts.
- Work in collaboration with the malaria and IRS focal point persons at the Provincial or District Health Office to manage the planning and coordination of IRS activities.
- Oversee the recruitment, training, and supervision of spray teams and IRS spray operators.
- Supervise and track inventory distribution and storage of materials, work with the logistics and procurement team to support procurement of IRS materials.
- Supervise IRS implementation, and contribute to the trainings conducted in the assigned geographical area.
- Ensure that routine program tracking and reporting are in place and delivered on time.
- Supervise and monitor field data collection with project M&E team.
- Manage the community mobilization and SBCC/IEC campaigns and data collection process.
- Ensure that all risk prevention and environmental compliance measures are fully implemented and work closely with the project environmental compliance staff and district/province officers to address relevant issues.
- Facilitate communication between the districts in the assigned geographic area and the project office.
- Represents the program at meetings with the community leaders and local L steering committees.
- Prepare weekly and other activity reports as directed by the project Operations Manager.
- The position requires frequent travel to field sites to support and oversee district and community level operations and activities.
- A postgraduate qualification in pediatrics, medicine, public health, epidemiology or another relevant speciality.
- Experience working closely with Ministries of Health, National Malaria Control Programs (NMCP) and other stakeholders in relation to vector control.
- A thorough understanding of malaria case management.
- Familiar with quantitative and qualitative research methods as applied to malaria case management
- At least five (5) years of relevant professional work experience, with significant amounts of experience directly in Vector Control, IRS Operations, and public health or research experience in IRS
- Experience in regulatory and operational aspects of insecticide use and management is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a minimum of direction and supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work both as a member of a team and as a team leader, with the ability to accept the inputs of other team members.
- Strong management and planning skills of project tasks and budgets,
- Demonstrates leadership and team work and produces high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner and has excellent writing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communications, and organizational skills.
- Excellent computer skills, computer software proqrams. includinq MSWord, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with USAID funded programs and/or other international development experience.
- English language fluency (language skills as needed by Tanzania)
Please submit your application to:
The PMI VectorLink Project e-mail address: VectorControl_Tanzania@abtassoc.comSubject Line: Kagera Regional Coordinator Application
Only electronic applications are considered. In the subject line of your email, please state clearly which position you apply for. The application should consist of a brief cover letter and CV, compiled into one document of maximum 4 pages. The document name should start with your name and include which position you apply for. E.g, In your CV, please state your sex and date of birth. Certificates are not of interest at this stage. Applications failing to meet these requirements or sent to other email addresses will not be considered. If you do not hear from us, please consider your application unsuccessful. Abt Associates reserves the right not to make an appointment/contact.
Deadline for submission of Applications is 14th February, 2019. EX3